Tragically, children getting injured or killed in pedestrian accidents is a reality. We all want to do everything we can to prevent these tragedies, but what can you do to help your child stay safe as they navigate the surrounding areas on foot? Here are a few places to start:
- The importance of being seen. Drivers easily miss pedestrians. Particularly with the widespread prevalence of distracted driving, it’s more important than ever to be visible. Teach your child to dress in one or more articles of brightly colored clothing. At night, they should carry a flashlight and wear clothing with reflective properties.
- Staying alert in parking lots or elsewhere near parked cars. In parking lots or when crossing alongside a parallel parked car, your child should learn to exercise extra caution. Drivers backing up or opening their doors don’t always see and recognize a small child in the area. Extra caution can go a long way in preventing an accident.
- Looking to make sure vehicles are completely stopped before crossing. Along with this is the idea of making sure the driver sees you. Show your child how they should make eye contact with the stopped driver before stepping into the crosswalk.
- Using only designated crossings. Describe to your child what it means to “jaywalk” and that it is never okay to do so. You should also point out that running across the road to catch a bus without going to a crosswalk is very dangerous.
- Model good pedestrian behavior when you are out walking with them. You can quite literally show your child how to be a safer pedestrian. Take them for a stroll around the block and show them how to look both ways before entering a crosswalk, how to make eye contact with stopped drivers, and how to behave as you travel alongside motor vehicles.
At Stephens & Holman, we believe firmly in fighting for what is in the best interest of the accident victim. We will seek to maximize any compensation for injuries suffered in a pedestrian accident. For a free claim review, please call our Vancouver, BC, law firm at 604-730-4120.