An accident can quickly distort all sense of reality, but in times like this, it is crucial to keep a level head and act quickly. The law firm of Stephens & Holman offers B.C. residents a few steps to follow after an auto accident, dangerous premises accident, or defective product accident.
Get Medical Help
- If you are severely injured, make sure medical help is on the way
- If you aren’t in need of immediate medical attention, be sure to visit a doctor shortly after the accident to find any underlying injuries which may have resulted
- Follow through with follow-up doctor visits and ask for copies of all medical reports and information
- If you can, get the names and numbers of any bystanders or witnesses, or have someone do that for you
- After an auto accident, record the license plate number of the driver who hit you and jot down anything in your immediate memory regarding how the accident happened
- Get the name and insurance info of the other driver, or property owner in the case of a premises liability accident
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene from all angles
- After an injury due to a defective product, make sure you collect any packaging, instructions, and the product itself
Get Professional Support
- Make sure police are called, so they will file an accident report
- Contact an experienced Vancouver accident lawyer for legal guidance and aggressive representation of your rights
Don’t Sign Anything Away
- Do not sign or agree to anything on the phone with ICBC or another insurance company. You may be waiving your rights.
- Don’t accept an accident settlement that is less than you deserve.
Find Out About Limitation Periods
There are various limitation periods within which certain documents must be provided to ICBC and within which a court action must be commenced in order to protect your claim. An experienced personal injury lawyer can advise you concerning these periods.
We’re here to Help
If you are in need of help from our dedicated legal team, please fill out the form below or contact us by telephone.
"*" indicates required fields