An accident can quickly distort all sense of reality, but in times like this, it is crucial to keep a level head and act quickly. The law firm of Stephens & Holman offers B.C. residents a few steps to follow after an auto accident, dangerous premises accident, or defective product accident.
Get Medical Help
- If you are severely injured, make sure medical help is on the way
- If you aren’t in need of immediate medical attention, be sure to visit a doctor shortly after the accident to find any underlying injuries which may have resulted
- Follow through with follow-up doctor visits and ask for copies of all medical reports and information
- If you can, get the names and numbers of any bystanders or witnesses, or have someone do that for you
- After an auto accident, record the license plate number of the driver who hit you and jot down anything in your immediate memory regarding how the accident happened
- Get the name and insurance info of the other driver, or property owner in the case of a premises liability accident
- If possible, take photos of the accident scene from all angles
- After an injury due to a defective product, make sure you collect any packaging, instructions, and the product itself
Get Professional Support
- Make sure police are called, so they will file an accident report
- Contact an experienced Vancouver accident lawyer for legal guidance and aggressive representation of your rights
Don’t Sign Anything Away
- Do not sign or agree to anything on the phone with ICBC or another insurance company. You may be waiving your rights.
- Don’t accept an accident settlement that is less than you deserve.
Find Out about Limitation Periods
- There are various limitation periods within which certain documents must be provided to ICBC and within which a court action must be commenced in order to protect your claim. An experienced personal injury lawyer can advise you concerning these periods.
The law firm you choose makes a difference. Contact accident and injury lawyers Stephens & Holman BEFORE you discuss your accident with an ICBC adjuster. Call 604-730-4120 today. You can meet with us for a complimentary, no-obligation consultation and pay us only after you collect!