How to Choose a Personal Injury Lawyer
- Some lawyers may promise great service and attention, and then fall short after you become a client.
- Others may encourage you to settle prematurely or for an amount that you’re not comfortable with, or repeatedly “forget” to return your phone calls.
Before you choose your lawyer, find out if he has your best interests in mind. Look for a lawyer with many years of experience practicing whatever type of law pertains to your case, whether it’s personal injury, wrongful death, premises liability, or defective products.
Some law firms, including Stephens & Holman, offer a complimentary, no-obligation legal consultation. This can be a great way to get to know a lawyer, find out their philosophy of practice, and discover what they can do for you. A meeting in person is highly recommended before you make up your mind about which law firm to hire.
During your initial free consultation, ask as many questions as you need to. Think of it as an interview to help you determine if a particular legal team can meet your needs.
- Ask about payment and fees – a lawyer who works on contingency and fronts the expenses needed to investigate and process your claim suggests that he truly believes in your cause.
- Ask about case results – what types of settlements has this law firm secured? Have they handled many claims like yours?
- Ask about availability – will your legal team be easy to communicate with and prompt in returning phone calls and answering questions?
- Ask, if your case stems from an auto accident, whether the law firm has ever represented the interests of ICBC. Your interests and those of ICBC are not the same.
No matter which method you choose to find a British Columbia personal injury lawyer, you should choose one who is compassionate and has a genuine desire to help you.
The law firm you choose makes a difference. Call 604-730-4120 today for a complimentary consultation with the lawyers at Stephens & Holman.