Cycling is a great way for you to traverse the city and all of the beautiful areas of British Columbia. Unfortunately, the risks for cycling accidents are real throughout B.C. and those caused by negligent drivers can cause you serious injury while riding, leaving you with pain and suffering for years to come.
At the law firm of Stephens & Holman, we believe that you should feel safe while out cycling but you still may be involved in an accident with a negligent driver. To help keep you and your family safe, we’ve compiled a list of safety tips for cyclists so that you can enjoy your time on the road.
Safety tips for cyclists include:
- Wear protective gear: By law in B.C., you must wear an approved helmet that meets safety standards. You can be fined for not wearing one.
- Stay visible: Include reflective gear on your pedals and wheels and wear bright, reflective clothing.
- Stay in bike lanes: Always use designated bike lanes when possible.
- Stay off the sidewalk: Riding on most sidewalks is illegal in B.C. If there is no bike lane stay as far as you can to the right-hand side of the road.
- Follow the rules of the road: Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Use signals: Before making any turns use hand signals and shoulder check in advance.
These tips can help keep everyone on the road safe, although accidents may still occur. If you’re hit by a careless driver, contact the bicycle accident lawyers at Stephens & Holman today. Even if as a cyclist you contributed to the accident, you still may be able to claim compensation for your injuries.
Before you speak with an ICBC adjuster, contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. We have the knowledge and experience to help you navigate these difficult times so that you and your family can once again have peace of mind. Call us today at 604-730-4120. We proudly serve greater Vancouver and nearby areas of British Columbia.