Driving can be dangerous. Reckless drivers pose a significant threat to your safety, especially if they’re under the influence of drugs while they drive. The automobile accident lawyers at Stephens & Holman want to remind everyone that if you’re planning on using recreational drugs at a social gathering, office party, or sporting event, please have a designated driver, call a taxi, or take public transit.
Statistics for Drug-Related Car Accidents
Drug-related car accidents are the leading cause of automobile accident fatalities in B.C. You should never drive while impaired; you put yourself and everyone else on the road at risk for serious injury or death. Here are some alarming statistics when it comes to drug-related car accidents:
- There were a total of 2,224 deaths in 2021 due to accidents caused by drugs in British Columbia.
- The death rate in the province was 42.8 per 100,000 residents in 2021.
- Drugged driving leads to an average of 6.1 lost lives every day.
- In 83% of 2021 drug-related accidents, Fentanyl was found as well as carfentanil.
These statistics illustrate how imperative it is you keep yourself and others safe by refraining from driving under the influence. B.C. also has the toughest drinking and driving laws in all of Canada. If you’re arrested for driving while impaired you can face driving suspensions, vehicle impoundment, large fines, and even jail time.
Drugged Driving Liability
If you’ve been in a drug-related car accident and the other driver was under the influence of drugs, it may alter the compensation you’re owed. There may be other parties liable beyond the driver, including:
- The insurance company may be liable if they continued to insure a driver with a history of driving while impaired.
- A doctor or pharmacist may be liable if they failed to explain the proper instructions for driving while taking certain medications.
- A bar or bartender may be liable if they serve alcohol to someone who is heavily intoxicated and gets behind the wheel.
These are just a few examples of the complex nature of auto accidents caused by drivers under the influence of drugs. That’s why it’s important to seek the counsel of the experienced automobile accident lawyers at Stephens & Holman. We will help you navigate this area of the law.