Skip to main content
Accident Law

What Happens If You Get Into A Car Accident While Travelling?

Car accidents can be stressful, especially if they occur when you’re travelling on vacation. Fortunately, British Columbians are protected under ICBC’s Basic Insurance and Enhanced Care for the majority of auto incidents and resulting healthcare needs. However, these coverages can fall short for drivers travelling outside of B.C. on vacation, regardless of who is at fault. In some circumstances, purchasing a third-party liability insurance plan such as travel insurance could save you from paying expensive bills out of pocket.

Am I Covered If I Get Into a Car Accident on Vacation?

That depends on a couple of different factors. ICBC covers British Columbians in any Canadian province and across all 50 United States. As long as you were not the at-fault party in the accident, your benefits should cover the cost of vehicle damage. You also shouldn’t see any changes in the cost of your premiums.

If you are the at-fault party in an accident outside of British Columbia, your Basic Auto plan will include up to $200,000 in third-party liability coverage in the event that you:

  • Damaged another driver’s vehicle or other property, including a building, fence, or bicycle.
  • Caused injury to another driver or passenger.
  • Damaged property or contents inside another driver’s vehicle.

These expenses can quickly add up, potentially amounting to more than the $200,000 the basic coverage allows for. Therefore, you would be responsible for any and all costs that surpass your coverage’s limit. That could make your getaway a bit more expensive than you had planned. .You should seriously consider extending your third party liability coverage to protect yourself financially.

Am I Covered If I Get Into a Rental Car Accident on Vacation?

In most cases, yes. As long as you already have ICBC insurance as a driver in British Columbia, you won’t be required to purchase additional coverage through the car rental company when picking up the rental vehicle. In the event that you don’t have car insurance, you will need to purchase a collision damage waiver, liability insurance, personal accident insurance, and personal effects coverage. While these will give you some cushion, they may not be enough to cover all vehicle damages or medical costs. Having travel insurance leaves you, your passengers, and your wallet better protected.