Impaired driving is the leading cause of automobile accident fatalities in B.C. It is never a good idea to drive while impaired, as you put yourself and everyone else on the road at risk for serious injury or death. The automobile accident lawyers at Stephens & Holman want to remind everyone that if you’re planning on drinking at a social gathering, office party, or sporting event to please have a designated driver, call a taxi, or take transit.
Alarming statistics for impaired driving in B.C. include:
- Each year 66 people die in crashes involving impaired driving
- Roughly 23% of all automobile accident fatalities involve impaired driving
- Nearly 58% of impaired driving accidents happen on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday
- Approximately 40% of impaired driving accidents happen between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m.
- Individuals aged 16 to 25 years old make up only 13% of all drivers in B.C. but account for nearly 28% of all impaired driving accidents
With these statistics it's imperative that you keep yourself and others safe by refraining from driving while impaired. B.C. also has the toughest drinking and driving laws in all of Canada. If you’re arrested for driving while impaired you can face driving suspensions, vehicle impoundment, large fines, and even jail time.
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident due to another's impaired driving, contact the law firm of Stephens & Holman before you meet with an ICBC adjuster by calling us at 604-730-4120 for a free, no-obligation consultation. We proudly serve greater Vancouver and all of British Columbia.