Studies are showing that distracted driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. With distracted driving becoming an epidemic as drivers focus on their phones, navigation systems, and even eating, the Canadian Automobile Association (
Here are 8 alarming facts about distracted driving, per the
- Drivers that are texting are 23 times more likely to get in a car accident
- 84% of distracted driving accidents that resulted in a fatality were from carelessness behind the wheel
- 80% of crashes occur from driver inattention
- Driving distracted makes you 3 times more likely to get in a wreck
- Distracted driving causes approximately 4 million car crashes per year
- Children and infant passengers are more distracting than adult passengers
- In 2010, 104 car accident fatalities in British Columbia were due to distracted driving
- Between 20% and 30% of all car crashes are due to driver distraction
Distracted driving occurs anytime a driver is focusing on anything other than the road. This can occur whether the driver is on the phone or using a hands-free phone as both distract the driver from their task at hand.
If you've been involved in an accident, whether or not it involved distracted driving, please allow our Vancouver accident lawyers to help you. At Stephens & Holman, we have decades of experience with car accident cases and can help get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today or call 604-730-4120.
*Sources: Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Alberta Transportation, and Royal Canadian Mounted Police