School buses are one of the safest modes of transportation for children. However, when a school bus accident does take place, the injuries are often very serious and can potentially be fatal.
Most school bus accidents involve children between the ages of five and seven and occur in close proximity to the bus. Due to their diminutive size and tendency to erratically dart across the street, child pedestrian accidents comprise the majority of school bus-related accidents. Many of these accidents would be easily avoidable if drivers paid more attention and followed proper school zone procedures.
The most common causes of school bus accidents include:
- Defective equipment
- Adverse road and weather conditions
- School bus driver inexperience
- Driver fatigue
- Aggressive driving in school zones
- Failure to yield the right of way to pedestrians around the bus
- Difficulty seeing around school buses
- Bus drivers failing to keep the stop sign out until all children are off the road
- Bus drivers failing to observe child pedestrian behavior around the bus
If your child has been injured in a school bus-related accident caused by the negligent actions of another, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your child’s injuries and medical expenses. Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help you through the entire legal process so that you receive a fair settlement. Please contact our Vancouver, British Columbia lawyers today to schedule a free consultation.