Many people don’t consider the legal ramifications of boating accidents. Because these accidents take place on water, they are often overlooked as vehicle accidents. Recreational boating is a very popular pastime in Canada, as well as the US. If you are going to participate in boating activities, it is important to understand the laws governing the waterways and know what to do if you are ever in an accident.
Make sure you take the proper precautions when boating. Most of the same rules that apply to on-land roadways apply to the water as well. These include:
- Having the proper license and proof of competency documents.
- Maintaining a safe speed at all times. There are speed restrictions on the water.
- Understanding and obeying the rules for minors operating a boat. In Canada, children under 12 cannot operate a boat with more than 10hp and children ages 12 to 16 cannot operate a boat with more than 40hp.
- Always wear a life jacket and ensure that all of your passengers wear life jackets as well. Nearly all drowning accidents involve people who are not wearing the proper floatation devices.
- Don’t drink and drive. This is often overlooked, but operating a boat under the influence of alcohol is still against the law. Statistics show that nearly half of all boating fatalities involved alcohol.
- Keep fire extinguishers in multiple areas on the boat. Make sure everyone on board knows where the extinguishers are and how to use them.
If you are in a boating accident, the fault of the accident will need to be determined. Accidents can be the fault of another driver who was being careless or reckless, but it is also important to remember that faulty boating equipment can also cause accidents. When an accident occurs due to faulty equipment, the manufacturer can be held liable
If you have been in a boating accident due to the carelessness of another party, then you have legal rights. You can count on our experienced lawyers to sort through the details and determine fault in the accident. We will be able to show negligence and get you the compensation you deserve. Trust us to help you get your life back on track.