Because more and more people are starting to use bicycles as their main form of transportation, there are more opportunities for accidents involving cars and bikes. Taking the proper precautions when riding a bike is imperative to staying safe. This includes understanding the rules of the road and wearing the proper safety equipment. Unfortunately, even when all of the proper precautions are taken, accidents still occur.
If you choose to ride your bike on or near busy roadways, it is important to know what to do if you are ever in an accident:
- Don’t panic and try to stay calm and focused. This is easier said than done, but it can make a huge difference in your ability to deal with the situation.
- Call the police and medical personnel. It is important to file a police report even if there are only minor injuries.
- Check for injury. It is best to stay still until medical personnel can check you for injury, but if you are bleeding profusely you may need to move in order to control the bleeding.
- Make sure you are safe. While it is recommended that you stay still until medical help arrives, if you are in harm’s way, it is important to move to a safe location until help arrives to avoid further injury.
- Identify the people involved in the accident. Make sure you get everyone’s license, registration, address, and contact information before anyone leaves the scene.
- Look for witnesses to the accident. Get as much information as possible from witnesses. This information may be important should you file for legal action.
If you or someone close to you has been involved in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence, please contact our office for a free consultation. Our experienced accident attorneys will help you sort through all the details and file a claim for legal action. We are on your side and we will help you recover any damage you may be entitled to.