In order to keep our roadways safe, it is important that the roads are properly maintained. When crews are out working on the roads, proper signage should be placed in advance of the work zone so drivers are prepared. Unfortunately, many people don’t heed the warnings of these signs and then accidents happen.
Some of the main reasons that car accidents within construction zones are so devastating are because of the environment within these zones:
- There are multiple people working on and near the road
- There can be large trucks and machinery near the road and entering into traffic
- The roadways may be under construction, which leaves the pavement unsafe at high speeds
- There may be oncoming traffic in the next lane due to re-routing the roads
- The workers may be treating the surfaces with an certain products which can make the roads very slippery
Most construction zone accidents are preventable. The main reason that so many people get hurt by vehicles within construction zones is because drivers do not heed the warnings and slow down. Some simple things you can do to help prevent construction zone accidents are:
- Pay attention and heed all warning signs
- Slow down
- Make sure you keep an eye on what traffic is doing ahead of you
- Take an alternate route if possible
If you have been in a car accident at the negligence of someone else, please contact our offices. In our free consultation we will give you advice on your personal injury claim and help you recover any monetary damages that are rightfully yours.